Hit enter to search or ESC to close





About us

Why use a broker

Your Gallagher broker is your trusted adviser on insurance solutions.

  • They work with you to understand your needs and assess the risks that need insuring.
  • They work with the insurance market on your behalf to put together an insurance programme that gives you the right cover priced for you.
  • Your broker understands the complexities and changing nature of insurance. They can work in NZ markets and internationally.
  • Over time as things change with you, or your business, they work with you to keep your insurance up to date.
  • If you need to make a claim your broker can guide you through the process and advocate on your behalf for a fair and prompt result.


Who uses an insurance broker?

Our brokers provide advice on insurance for individuals, small to medium-size businesses, corporates, industry bodies, membership organisations, charities and more.  

We have specialist brokers who are expert in specific industries and areas of risk, such as aviation, construction, cyber and marine.

Our brokers also provide insurance advice to the Asian migrant business community, in a range of sectors from tourism and construction through to retail.

Whether it's insurance for you, your family, or your business - we're here to help. 

What training does a broker have?

Gallagher maintains a strong focus on compliance - and the training and development of our brokers.

We are a member of the Insurance Brokers Association of New Zealand (IBANZ), New Zealand's professional association for insurance brokers, risk managers and consumers. This requires that our brokers are appropriately qualified, efficient and trustworthy, and observe high standards of professional conduct and care. All IBANZ members must comply with a code of conduct and are subject to an external audit every twelve months.

IBANZ recognises individual members in the form of a “professional status”. We aim to have our brokers meet their Practising Insurance Broker (PIB) status as a minimum. As one of the criteria, our broker must achieve at least ten Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points each year.

For qualifications and continuing education of our brokers we work with The Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)

How are insurance brokers paid?

Our brokers get paid by Gallagher - not the insurer. We act for you - and can objectively recommend an insurance programme that meets your needs. 

Like other insurance brokers, Gallagher's main source of income is commission from the insurances we arrange through underwriters. We also charge administration fees to cover the costs to support business overheads. 

We may be remunerated for our services by other means where applicable. These are explained in our terms of business and disclosure information.

What’s the difference between an insurance broker and an insurance agent?

An insurance broker acts on your behalf and has access to the wholesale insurance market and a range of products and services.

An insurance agent, on the other hand, acts on behalf of one or more insurance companies and can only access their products.

An insurance broker provides you with impartial advice and helps you select the right insurance solution for your needs. Our job is to act in your interests, rather than the interests of the insurance company.

How do I find a broker?

Gallagher has brokers and branches based across New Zealand. Use our broker search below to find someone local to you or contact us by phone or email.

We will put you in touch with personal, business, and life and health insurance brokers who can help. 

How does an insurance broker differ from an insurer?

Gallagher's Drew Gilpin, talks about the role and value of an insurance broker. 

Need to talk?
Call us now

0800 276 624

Find a