Hit enter to search or ESC to close



Marine insurance

iStock 615426940marine1

Marine cargo insurance

Cargo insurance insures property while in transit against loss or damage caused at sea - as well as associated land and inland waterways.

Loss or damage could be due to a range of risks such as dock strikes, rogue waves, heavy seas, loss of refrigeration or even earthquakes impacting containers on land. 

Who needs marine cargo insurance?

You need marine cargo insurance if:

  • you ship cargo overseas or in New Zealand, and risk loss through damage or loss of products.
  • you could be held responsible for your shipment causing damage to others.
  • you suffer a loss of profit related to an event covered by a policy extension.

Marine cargo insurance options

We can cover cargo moving anywhere in the world as a one-off or on an ongoing basis. The options are:

  • marine open cover, to cover all shipments undertaken annually in New Zealand, worldwide or both.
  • individual policies taken for singular or infrequent shipments.

From a risk perspective understanding responsibility between parties can be complex. Our marine brokers can help review the terms of sale before a contract is signed from an insurance point of view.

Help with marine insurance

Our marine specialists have experience with marine broking and underwriting. We maintain strong relationships with the Marina Operators Association (MOA) and help many of New Zealand’s privately-owned marinas to get their insurance sorted.

As one of New Zealand’s largest insurance brokers, our size helps us to negotiate competitive premiums, benefits and conditions for clients. We can also leverage our international connections when needed.


Marine insurance specialists

Our experienced marine insurance brokers are here to provide advice and solutions to small-medium and corporate businesses working in and with the marine industry. 

Contact us